Saturday, June 6, 2009

Last One Standing



This is our cat Buttons. She is our only pet now. In the last 3 months we have lost our other cat and recently our dog. Buttons is our Wal-Mart kitty.  I was leaving Wal-Mart one day with my friend Grace and she pointed out a kitten under the lineup of lawnmowers.  She was chewing on a chicken bone with no meat. I knew for sure she would run, but she didn't. From day one she has been full of love. She has blossomed into our HUGE bundle of fur. 

Oliver is my cat who I adopted in Tallahassee, FL during the summer before I started graduate school. He was always a little high strung and nervous but he followed me faithfully. He lived in Charleston for a while, then Columbia until we settled in Rock Hill. He was primarily an indoor cat but when we moved into our home we had to put him outside since he misbehaved so much. He loved the outdoors.  Typically every Spring he'd come home with some sort of injury but always survived. This year after Madelyn's arrival he disappeared and hasn't been seen since. I miss my buddy!

This is Jake our beagle. He was my first dog and I wasn't particularly fond of him, but he was just beginning to grow on me. This week we lost him in a tragic accident that has been heart wrenching. The night before he was gone I observed him with Caleb and thought it was adorable how he played. He was following Caleb who was pushing his dump truck. He kept licking water out of the dump truck. Then he started sniffing Caleb's diaper. After that he ran to the backyard where I watched him play with Buttons. They were just becoming good friends. He would pounce all around her playfully and she would watch him with a look on her face that read "you big baffoon".  I am going to miss him more than I realized.  We have lost a real friend.





1 comment:

rg said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Jake and Oliver. I dread the day that Sadie leaves us. Kevin's beagle (when he was a kid) lived to be about 15 yrs old.